Monday, September 26, 2011

Milo Teaches College?*

I saw Descendents in Philly this weekend. With them going on and off hiatus I wondered if I'd ever type or say those words again, but there they are.

My tastes in music might have changed since I first heard Milo Goes To College at 15, but I really enjoyed this show. Descendents was the first "big" show I ever went to with my friends^, and I was able to go to this show with a lot of the same friends. That was definitely the best part.
Descendents played exactly as I remember them, which I think is pretty impressive. The only major difference was Milo invited his children on stage to help with the rules of the bass master general. Pretty adorable to hear a 5 year old girl saying, "Thou shalt not partake of decaf."

Plow also played and played really well. Their music was on in my car a lot during high school, and it was great to hear them again with my old buds.

Afterwards, we went to Tattooed Mom, where Nirvana was in heavy rotation on the jukebox, as you might expect for this weekend. Around 1am, people still in costume and make-up from a zombie prom also started showing up, which was real rad.

Thinking about it now, that's a lot of nostalgia for me for one weekend, but that's good every once in a while. Besides, Sunday I did a little bit of forward-looking, practicing with Bill and Steve to get ready to do Glad Hearts as a three piece for a while.

Cheers,
Ryan

*So, after minutes of internet "research," I couldn't find any evidence of Milo Aukerman actually teaching college, but most sites I found seemed to agree he has his PhD. So, it's theoretically possible he could adjunct from time to time, and from there I couldn't really resist the play on words.

^To be fair, the first show I ever went to was when my parents took me to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Live! The show was almost ruined when Shredder showed up right after the first two songs, but the Turtles were able to fight him off and still rock the house. Pretty impressive, even for ninjas.

The first show I went to on my own was a DIY benefit show for the local first aid squad where people from my high school played. It may sound cliche, but it did change my life.

No comments: